Nov 28, 2017

Missing Codecs in MongoDB

When upgrading a project’s Mongo driver from 2.13.0 to 3.4.2, we got the following exception:

org.bson.codecs.configuration.CodecConfigurationException: can't find a codec for class java.math.BigDecimal.

Well it seems that Mongo doesn’t support BigDecimal any longer. There we made our own BigdDecimal Codec. If you search for the “can't find a codec for class” error, you inevitably end up at this StackOverflow entry. However that is about saving nested, custom objects into Mongo. If you search for a while longer you will end up in the Mongo docs that has a simple example with Integer. Seems easy to adopt that for BigDecimal.

But when we did that, we got the same error. it seemed like Mongo was just ignoring our call to the CodecRegistry! The problem was what is described here – we were using a BasicDBObject and not a Document so the Mongo driver wasn’t hitting the CodecRegistry.

I made a Gist overview of how we got it working. The key was adding the Transformer via the static class with this line:  BSON.addEncodingHook(BigDecimal.class, new BigDecimalTransformer()); . We needed both that Transformer and the Codec in the registry for it to work.

I hope that this post can save someone else a few hours/days of head-scratching.

About the Author

Mike Hostetler profile.

Mike Hostetler

Principal Technologist

Mike has almost 20 years of experience in technology. He started in networking and Unix administration, and grew into technical support and QA testing. But he has always done some development on the side and decided a few years ago to pursue it full-time. His history of working with users gives Mike a unique perspective on writing software.

One thought on “Missing Codecs in MongoDB

  1. Joerg says:

    Thanks a lot for this post! Had a similar problem when upgraded Apache Camel to a new version (which also includes upgrade of MongoDB Driver), which broke the software I was working on. Camel community pointed out that this is “wanted-by-design” by the new mongo driver, but that didn’t help getting my code work again.
    Than I Implemented a BigDecimal codec like you suggested in your GIST example, worked like a charm!

    So, indeed, your post saved me a LOT “hours/days of head-scratching” :)!

    1. I’m glad my post helped! The fix is not intuitive.

  2. MarcE says:

    Many thanks! Really good work!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Blog Posts
Android Development for iOS Developers
Android development has greatly improved since the early days. Maybe you tried it out when Android development was done in Eclipse, emulators were slow and buggy, and Java was the required language. Things have changed […]
Add a custom object to your Liquibase diff
Adding a custom object to your liquibase diff is a pretty simple two step process. Create an implementation of DatabaseObject Create an implementation of SnapshotGenerator In my case I wanted to add tracking of Stored […]
Keeping Secrets Out of Terraform State
There are many instances where you will want to create resources via Terraform with secrets that you just don’t want anyone to see. These could be IAM credentials, certificates, RDS DB credentials, etc. One problem […]
Validating Terraform Plans using Open Policy Agent
When developing infrastructure as code using terraform, it can be difficult to test and validate changes without executing the code against a real environment. The feedback loop between writing a line of code and understanding […]